Construction of 150-Megawatt Stung Tatai Leu Hydropower Dam in Koh Kong Begins

The Stung Tatai Leu Hydropower Dam of 150 megawatts in Thmar Baing district of Koh Kong province was broken ground in an official ceremony this morning.

Samdech Moha Borvor Thipadei Hun Manet, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, and Chinese Ambassador to Cambodia H.E. Wang Wentian presided over the groundbreaking ceremony.

Developed by China National Heavy Machinery Corporation (CHMC) under the BOT (Build-Operate-Transfer) with an investment capital of almost US$390 million, the Stung Tatai Leu Hydropower Dam project is expected to complete in 2026.

The project provides a 39-year concession, of which four years for construction and 35 years for operation.

An average of 527 million kilowatt hours are expected to be sold to the state-owned Electricité du Cambodge (EDC) annually with a price of US$7.92 per kilowatt hour.

Cambodia has currently seven major hydropower stations in operation, including the 12-megawatt Kirirom 1 in Kampong Speu province’s Phnom Srouch district, the 194-megawatt Kamchay in Teuk Chhou district of Kampot province, the 18-megawatt Kirirom III in Sre Ambil district of Koh Kong province, the 338-megawatt Russey Churm Krom in Koh Kong’s Mondul Seima district, the 120-megawatt Stung Atay dans le district Veal Veng of Pursat province, the 246-megawatt Stung Tatay in Koh Kong’s Thmar Baing district, and the 400-megawatt Lower Sesan II in Stung Treng province.

Besides, there are two other hydropower dam projects under construction – the 80-megawatt Stung Pursat in Pursat province and the 150-megawatt Stung Tatay Leu in Koh Kong province.

Based on the EDC’s report, Cambodia has the capacity to generate 3,464 megawatts of domestic power from various sources such as solar energy, hydropower, biomass, coal, and oil. However, the highest demand for electricity currently stands at only about 2,400 megawatts.

Cambodia produces almost 80 percent of its electricity, with the remaining 20 percent being purchased from neighbouring countries such as Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand.

As of the end of 2022, 13,923 villages, equivalent to 98.27 percent of the total villages nationwide, have already been connected to the national grid. Only 245 villages, or 1.73 percent, have not been connected yet due to their location in remote areas or on island.